about the GPL version, and password protection...

Robert Mann rman at free.fr
Sat Feb 16 13:00:08 EST 2013

Hi, as I mentionned earlier on int that thread :
http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/Open-source-LC-server-and-revigniter-td4660146.html

Jacqueline Landman Gay made a comprhensive answer as the most probable
position :
RR says they will not release the password protection algorithm.
Commercial licenses will be able to use it, but it will not be in the
open source version.

Since Zygodact requires password protection, it will be sold only to
users who have a commercial license. Existing users won't be able to
open their Zygodact stacks if they are using the free version. Apps
built with the free version won't be able to display the Zygodact
register dialog.

I don't know how LiveCode server will work, but I'm sure the free
version won't include password protection, and it wont be able to open
Zygodact password generators. Perhaps RR will release a commercial
server that can do it. But if they don't, you can still use the CGI
script and the older CGI engine.

Clarification on this would be good to hear from the team.

A related question  on which I saw no answer ::

Will  all encrypting functions not be available on the server OS version???
...Otherwise one can devise a specific protection scheme and deliver on a
client OS server a specifically protected stacks encrypted by a propriatary
function.

This would be against the OS principles as I understand it, but
realistically feasible since residing on a closed server environment.... not
available to the public...

In essence that would be on the bridge of OS/closed practice...

On the other hand, scraping off all security cripting possibilities in the
OS language server might make it useless to deliver web content with a
cetain amount of security...

Any view, suggestion on that point that might help us or runrev ??