about the GPL version, and password protection...

Colin Holgate coiin at verizon.net
Thu Feb 14 13:11:28 EST 2013

Some questions came up on the call about why the GPL version can't have the password protection code in it. It seems obvious to me why that would be the case, but maybe there's a complication I'm not seeing?

The value of password protecting a stack is that you can produce proprietary code that your customers can't just copy and paste into their own stacks. If the GPL version of LiveCode included the source code for how the protection scheme worked, that would completely devalue the feature, customers could easily rip-off the proprietary code of people who had paid for the commercial license.