What do you want to contribute?

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 11:11:26 EST 2013

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 1:18 AM, Monte Goulding <monte at sweattechnologies.com
> wrote:

> Lol... I guess you'd want to be careful not to bloat the engine with
> syntax for edge cases but I get your point. I like:
>

>From a technical standpoint, if I understand how RR is planning to handle
language extensions, this would be more of a library thing than an engine
thing. You'd be able to load grammars selectively.

>From a conceptual standpoint, I think the syntax itself is critical to
this. Your example

    trim each line of x

That is as clear as day, much clearer than my more generic and less
grammatical

    apply function trim to each line of x

...which is part of the point. Let's say that I share my syntax. You like
the functionality but tsk, tsk the way I've phrased it. You rewrite what I
put out (should be easy) and re-release. The market speaks, and a week from
now everyone is using

    trim each line of x
    bold word 1 of each line of fld "display"
    add 5 to the last item of each element of Z

...and so on. Good syntax wins, and any edge cases or bad syntaxes are lost
in the mist. In other words, the  examples that will survive are the ones
like chunk expressions, which are blindingly clear to any english-speaker,
and where once you use them, you wonder how you ever got along without
them.

Putting it another way, more powerful abstractions are better.