Open Source Livecode: a few daft questions.

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Feb 10 17:55:29 EST 2013

On 2/10/13 2:17 PM, Richmond wrote:
> I am having a wee problem understanding what a few things mean:
>
> 1. Pre-Release Repackaged Version.
>
> What is being 'repackaged'?

My rough layman's analogy: I have a single gigantic stack of spaghetti
code that consists of millions of lines of script and thousands of
handlers, scattered over 700 cards. Changing anything anywhere is likely
to impact the behavior of everything else. Every time I update a handler
I have to go through the entire stack and see what is affected, and then
rewrite those sections. Sometimes I miss stuff and surprising bugs
occur. That is my current package.

My goal: I want to divide the stack and its cards into libraries that
each perform a discrete, related set of behaviors. They will interact
with the others only through a standard set of handler calls. When I
update one library, there is little chance that modifications will
impact any of the others, as long as the interfacing handler calls don't
change. I don't need to worry about any of the others because each
library is self-sufficient. The community can easily modify one of the
parts without affecting any of the others. That's the re-packaging.

> 2. "As is" Open Source Release.
>
> Aha: that would seem to intimate that some sort of Open Source version
> already exists [think 'Copland', think 'Rhapsody'].

There's no current open source version. The "as-is" open source will be
the huge gigantic code block as it stands right now. It will be
difficult to work with but available for study. It's likely only the RR
team can modularize it because they're the only ones who understand the
current morass. The repackaged open source will be the new modular code
that can be more easily modified by the community.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com