Programming Subreddit

Roger Eller roger.e.eller at sealedair.com
Sat Feb 9 22:46:00 EST 2013

My point was only to say that LC has access to shell, applescript,
vbscript, batch files, custom externals, and library stacks (although
currently fewer than other languages), BUT we do have that versatility,
which makes LC powerful. As you said, open-source will only increase our
toolset.

Sent from my Pipo M2

On 10/02/2013, at 2:16 PM, Roger Eller <roger.e.eller at sealedair.com> wrote:

> He may be right about the dir tree search, or maybe we're just forgetting
> that LC can shell out to bash or other languages (when necessary), then do
> what it does "best", and manipulate the data efficiency, while presenting
> it to the user in a friendly UI on multiple platforms.

I don't think presenting an answer that relies on shell will help prove
LiveCode's power. Actually, it would be easy to trim the fat from the
example code and get something close (but still more verbose) to his second
version. Perhaps more readable. Still... his first version meant not having
to explain recursive programming to the high school kids which nice. But
like I said before... completing his whole project without having to use
wxPython is definitely going to be easier for the high school kids to
understand.

--
Monte Goulding

mergExt - There's an external for that!