Open source, LC server and revigniter

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Feb 6 16:19:50 EST 2013

On 2/6/13 1:17 PM, Robert Mann wrote:
> Hi fantastic news and bravo to the team... now one more question regarding LC
> server :
>
> Will LC server OS be able to open a protected stack like ZYGODACT which is
> made to help authentification at sites or to sell softwares, and obviously,
> that is protected...?
>
> If not, will there be a commercial LC server version that can do that?
>
> What I clearly understood is that , to make and update such a protected
> stack one would require of course a commercial version. That is clear.
>
> I think the answer will be :: bad luck, you can't use protected stack with
> the OS version, full point. But nice to clarify that point, thanks!
>
> On the ground of it, personnaly, I was going to contribute to revIgniter
> with a simplified hierarchical database based on stacks on a OS basis to
> accompany the move and as a thank you to Ralph Bitter for his wonderful
> work, but I wonder whether in the case of protection algorythms, there might
> be a case for not releasing the algorythm public.

RR says they will not release the password protection algorithm.
Commercial licenses will be able to use it, but it will not be in the
open source version.

Since Zygodact requires password protection, it will be sold only to
users who have a commercial license. Existing users won't be able to
open their Zygodact stacks if they are using the free version. Apps
built with the free version won't be able to display the Zygodact
register dialog.

I don't know how LiveCode server will work, but I'm sure the free
version won't include password protection, and it wont be able to open
Zygodact password generators. Perhaps RR will release a commercial
server that can do it. But if they don't, you can still use the CGI
script and the older CGI engine.

Clarification on this would be good to hear from the team.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com