OT: Jasper Fforde

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Tue Feb 5 20:46:07 EST 2013

Richmond-

> No, I'm not ffamiliar with that man with a ffine sounding name.

>From Fforde's website, a bit about the Thursday Next series of books,
which I wholeheartedly recommend to anyone who still remembers what
reading physical books is all about (and start at the beginning
because they'll make more sense that way):

1: The Thursday Next series. Thursday Next is a detective who works
for Jurisfiction, the policing agency that works inside fiction. The
books are set in an odd alternative world, and blends SF, Fantasy,
Literature, Horror, and a bit of romance. This is how I recently
described the series:

They are a series of books based upon the notion that what we read in
books is just a small part of a larger BookWorld that exists behind
the page.

A fantastical place populated by off-duty and sometimes mischievous
bookpeople from the Classics to Fanfiction, and ruled over by the
wheezing bureaucracy known as The council of Genres. It is their task
to maintain the pageant and integrity of the books within their
charge, and these efforts are sometimes thwarted by the very evildoers
and bizarre plot devices that give the Bookworld its appeal.

Aided in this endeavour but sometimes disagreeing with them are
Jurisfiction, the policing agency within Fiction. The adventures
follow one of their operatives: A woman from the Realworld named
Thursday Next, whose reality-based credentials bring a dimension of
independent thought to the proceedings, something that is often absent
in the mostly predetermined Bookworld.

Confused? Excellent - turn to page one and start reading!

(Seven books so far: The Eyre Affair, Lost in a Good Book, The Well of
Lost Plots, Something Rotten, First Among Sequels and One of our
Thursdays is Missing and The Woman Who Died a Lot (2012)

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net