ho lee kow

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 15:55:29 EST 2013

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 8:14 PM, Joe Lewis Wilkins <pepetoo at cox.net> wrote:
> I guess that would have qualified me as a "professional developer", although about that time
>frame in my programming "education" I had to ask a dealer tech what the letter "k" stood for.
>(hmn!)

Years ago, the summer after high school while waiting for college, I
applied for an ad by a startup for a programmer.  On the phone, they
said it was programming an MIS system, asked if I could do that, and
asked for a resume.

Not knowing better, I simply showed up with it, ended up talking and
they showed me a machine.

It was an Osborne, not an IMSAI, but I didn't say anything.

I got hired on the spot when I showed them how to do something that
had been vexing them, and six months later I finally asked what "MIS"
meant.

The director of R&D laughed, and said, "You wrote one, and now you
want to know what it is?"

:)

--
Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.