Trying to make economic sense of open sourcing livecode

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Feb 1 20:11:20 EST 2013

François Chaplais wrote:
 > OK, open source is the cure for cancer...
 > So I spend months, which become years implementing, say, a decent
 > math library for Livecode....
 > Who pays the rent?????

Alternative answer:

You may not need to write the library at all, but instead find that
someone else has already written it for you.

Something we haven't considered much here is an aspect Todd Geist and I
were discussing yesterday:  community.

When a software goes open source, esp. a dev tool or programming
language, the community will grow many times larger than it was, with
contributions coming from people you've never heard of a year earlier.

Our little corner of the world is about to grow.  A lot.  Many new names
will show up in the list and on the forums.  As gene pools go, there may
be a malcontent or two along the way, but mostly what we'll see are
eager young programmers looking to LiveCode as a way to learn, and
contribute, and make a name for themselves.

They want to help, but many of the big projects already have their bases
covered, so a language like LiveCode is a great opportunity to
contribute in many valuable ways.

And because LiveCode is really two languages, an engine in C++ and the
high-level scripting we use with it, there are more opportunities to
contribute than most dev tools provide.

Through this new generation of LiveTalkers we can expect to see dozens
of classic algos translated into LiveCode for community use.

If we can pull this off with the Kickstarter campaign, we'll arrive on
the other side in an exciting new place:  everything we've loved about
the language and the community for years, just a heckuva lot more of it.

So the math library you're looking for may already be written by the
time you need it.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World