Trying to make economic sense of open sourcing livecode

Mark Schonewille m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com
Fri Feb 1 13:03:07 EST 2013

Hi,

It is quite simple. Many consultants and companies will find it
profitable to contribute to the LiveCode engine. RunRev can use these
contributions and include them in the commercial version of LiveCode.
This way, the commercially available engine will develop more quickly,
which makes it more attractive to everybody and RunRev can sell more
commercial licenses.

As an economist, you know that co-operation between two parties allows
them to have complete information, which makes the market more
efficient. An open-source licence makes free exchange of information
between all involved parties possible. Of course, this is only one of
many possible explanations.

Oh... btw I'm just trying to give you a clue. I don't mean to
participate in an endless discussion on economic viability :-)

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Use Color Converter to convert CMYK, RGB, RAL, XYZ, H.Lab and other colour spaces. http://www.color-converter.com

We have time for new software development projects. Contact me for a quote.

On 14 January, we suffered severe server problems. If you tried to send an e-mail between 13 and 18 January and didn't get a reply, please try again.