rawKeyDown slightly cooked

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 05:00:08 EST 2013

On 24/12/13 00:22, Richmond wrote:
> On 24/12/13 00:10, Richmond wrote:
>> On 23/12/13 23:20, dunbarx at aol.com wrote:
>>> <something redundant>
>>>

>> This means that Livecode does NOT really trap rawKey codes at all,
>> and that 'rawKeyDown' and
>> 'rawKeyUp' are just fudges.
>>
>> If I write with a US English keyboard layout, an Armenian keyboard
>> layout (that is giving me 12 figure
>> 'keycodes'), or a Russian keyboard layout I am still typing with the
>> same physical keyboard and it is sending the same electronic signals
>> down the wire into the computer.
>>
>> I have been naive enough to believe that:
>>
>> "Handle the rawKeyDown message if you want to intercept raw events
>> from the keyboard, or from a mouse wheel, or if you want to handle
>> keys that aren't mapped to any character."
>>
>> obviously that "just isn't so", to put it extremely politely.
>>
>> Now rawKey codes should be exactly that, they should not be 'cooked'
>> by being strained through
>> somebody's keyboard layout.
>>
>> Funny how RunRev are shouting jolly stuff from the rooftops anent
>> getting Unicode to behave itself
>> better when something that is actually fairly fundamental to that is
>> still not what it should be.
>>
>> Richmond.
>
> In fact, I just cranked up the G3 iMac slot-loader running RR/LC 2 on
> Mac OS 9.2.2 and read that
> 'rawKeyDown' worked on Mac OS 'Classic' just as well as elsewhere;
>
> so wrote a script in a stack:
>
> on rawKeyDown RKD
>    put RKD into fld "GGG"
> end rawKeyDown
>
> and it DIDN'T work.
>
> So, quite a few wobbly bits lying around and about.
>
> Richmond.

Oddly enough . . . . this DOES work in a standalone on UbuntuStudio 13.10.

Have yet to try this out on Mac and Win.

This means that one can have a really crap time doing Beta testing,
having to belt off standalones for every millimetre of the way,
shuffling/skipping back and froth between the original stack(s) and the
increMENTAL
standalones.

I dread to think what would happen with a stack and a player; presumably
the same as in the Dev. IDE.

Richmond.