rawKeyDown slightly cooked

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 17:10:41 EST 2013

On 23/12/13 23:20, dunbarx at aol.com wrote:
> Richmond,
>

> I live in the United States. All these issues would go away if everyone would just learn English.
>

> Sheesh.
>

> Craig

This means that Livecode does NOT really trap rawKey codes at all, and
that 'rawKeyDown' and
'rawKeyUp' are just fudges.

If I write with a US English keyboard layout, an Armenian keyboard
layout (that is giving me 12 figure
'keycodes'), or a Russian keyboard layout I am still typing with the
same physical keyboard and it is sending the same electronic signals
down the wire into the computer.

I have been naive enough to believe that:

"Handle the rawKeyDown message if you want to intercept raw events from
the keyboard, or from a mouse wheel, or if you want to handle keys that
aren't mapped to any character."

obviously that "just isn't so", to put it extremely politely.

Now rawKey codes should be exactly that, they should not be 'cooked' by
being strained through
somebody's keyboard layout.

Funny how RunRev are shouting jolly stuff from the rooftops anent
getting Unicode to behave itself
better when something that is actually fairly fundamental to that is
still not what it should be.

Richmond.