livecode on xubuntu 13.10

Martin Baxter mblivecode at harbourhosting.co.uk
Sun Dec 22 12:42:24 EST 2013

This weekend I've been trying to get Livecode 6.1  running on xubuntu
13.10 64bit

After installng 32 bit compatibility stuff and manually copying 32bit
dependency libraries from another ubuntu machine as I couldn't
immediately figure out how else to install them, I did succeed in
getting it to run.

However there was a problem where the mouse pointer (cursor if you will)
disappeared the moment the mouse entered any livecode stack either in
the ide or otherwise. I deleted the revcursors stacks and the pointer
then returned albeit showing a pointing hand with the pointing finger
missing, by default, which was maybe coming from the system itself.

Out of curiosity I then copied over a standalone that was made in
livecode 4.5 and has run happily on Ubuntu 10.0.4 LTS. But on Xubuntu
13.10 it wouldn't run. When double-clicked nothing happened. It is set
as executable. When I tried to run it from the terminal the immediate
result was: "exiting on signal 11".

Has anyone else encountered these or similar symptoms, either on Xubuntu
or some other distro?

Martin Baxter