When is Unicode not Unicode?

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 02:30:36 EST 2013

On 19/12/13 01:12, Graham Samuel wrote:
> The HooHah is about the fact that a normal PC running XP (and for all I know, more modern versions of Windows) doesn't seem to have a guaranteed-to-be-present Unicode font with even my quite limited set of mathematical symbols in it, at least my tests have not been very satisfactory. There have been two alternative suggestions from members of this list (thanks, you know who you are!).

Isn't it amazing that Windows XP was released quite a bit after Mac OS
9, and the HooHah should be that it is not completely Unicode compliant.

The Arial set of fonts are, supposedly, OK as to Roman + Extended.

I am currently developing a set of programs (part of the "Richmond
'does' dead languages" project) that lever Unicode; in each case I am
going to bundle a FREE (as in all sorts of interpretations to what
'Free' means) Unicode font that has the Unicode symbols my program levers.

That is certainly one way round things; just as long as the end-user is
not so goofy that even with my instructions for Mac, Win and Linuc they
cannot work out how to install a font.

> Just to remind you, these are: use HTML, and use MacToISO. Both look more promising than Unicode to me. I am loth to use the HTML one because my source text isn't HTML, so I would have to put all the paragraph markers, colour changes etc in by hand (I suppose), or get the original author of the text to do it (I predict a blank refusal), so I'm hoping MacToISO will be sufficient, and it probably will.

I do have a feeling that there is a possibility that all the Maths
symbols you need are included in the extended ASCII set (1 - 256).

Richmond.