Still stuck on playing a sound with a player

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Wed Dec 18 13:27:51 EST 2013

Thanks Brian for your sample. I am encouraged that such a simple script works for you - I too am aiming at the simplest possible script.

Thanks to you and others I am almost there, but I want to bundle my sounds with my app in the Mac plist, so I need a different way to find the path to them: that bit seems to be working in the IDE, and it works in the standalone in that I don't get an error (my script looks to see if the file is actually found), but so far no sound actually plays.

Also I can't stop my player before I start like you, since I have a 'playStopped' handler for doing the next thing in my app when playing has finished (in my app, the playing isn't background music but takes centre stage while it's playing, and I need to wait for it to stop and then do something else). I don't think this matters since my sound is of a definite duration and doesn't loop, so it only needs to stop naturally as it were.

Finally I don't understand what setting the currentTime does in your script. When I play the sound in the IDE without setting the currentTime, it always plays, but not (so far) in the standalone. I have no idea why.

Got further, but still tinkering.

Thanks again.

Graham