When is Unicode not Unicode?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Dec 17 19:00:43 EST 2013

On 12/17/13 5:48 PM, Graham Samuel wrote:
> I have been trying to substitute Unicode characters in some text
> which contains some mathematical notation originated on a Mac (where
> several symbols like 'pi', 'less than or equals' etc are available as
> standard) so as to make the text look OK on a PC. Not to bore people
> with a lot of experimental data, but I find that a regular font on
> the PC (the default one that LiveCode chooses for example) doesn't
> seem to contain symbols like pi which I imagined could be shown using
> the LC Unicode operations.

At least for pi, greater-than-or-equal-to, less-than, etc. they aren't
really unicode (they don't use 2 bytes.) On Mac they're in the extended
ascii table; pi, for example, is number 184. You could find out what
character number it is on Windows and use numToChar to insert it.

Since they're such low numbers, comparatively speaking, I wouldn't think
the font would matter. Unicode character numbers can be up in the thousands.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com