Global Properties

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Mon Dec 16 13:36:45 EST 2013

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the info.

I started going through the list produced by your code and there's a lot of
entries that aren't globals so I started looking at other methods

I noticed that if you do something like "put the abbrev into field xyz",
field xyz will contain "abbrev".  In other words, if the property is
associated with an object but you don't include an object reference, you
get the name of the property.

You have to fool the compiler to not flag an error on the code by using a
do statement but I think that methodology yields an accurate list.  I
spotted some that I thought weren't global
(textfont,textalign,textsize,textfont) but it seems you can "set the
textalign to "right" and no error is flagged so I guess they are global as
well as object specific.

Here's the code, hopefully with no asterisks inserted!  This identified 277
global properties.

function ninjaChickens

   local tProperties

   get the propertynames

   repeat for each line rProperty in it
      do "put the" && rProperty && "into field Test"
      if field "Test" is not rProperty then
         put rProperty & return after tProperties
      end if
   end repeat

   answer the number of lines in tProperties && "global properties found"

   return tProperties

end ninjaChickens

OK, now back to real work.

Pete