Up, Down and Sideways

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 18:27:22 EST 2013

On 14/12/13 22:03, Dr. Hawkins wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 9:20 AM, Richmond <richmondmathewson at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Let's be rude, crude and direct:
> and wrong :)
>
>> Old Church Slavonic may have originated in 2 ways:
>>
>> 1. Derived from Bishop Ulfilas's Gothic alphabet.
>>
>> 2. Cooked up by a disciple of Cyril and Methodius.
>>
>> Either way, this happened at the 'great schism' between the Western
>> Christian Church
>> and the Eastern Christian Church; and anybody, with a bit of thought, can
>> see that this was done
>> to divide the Catholics from the Orthodox still further.
> Except C&M were nearly 200 years before the Schism . . . and, for that
> matter, after having been sent from Constantinople, they were called
> upon the carpet in Rome--at which point Pope Nicholas ordained
> Methodius, told his own archbishop in the dispute to back off, and
> sent C&M back . . .
>

>> P.S. Pinot Noir 2011.
> But that won't be very Noir any more, will it?

Wait a minute: I am writing about the Cyrillic alphabet; NOT Glagolitic.

Glagolitic was cooked up by C&M, Cyrillic (despite being named after
Cyril) was not, and there
is a lot of argy-bargy about who cooked it up.

If you take a look at the map of Europe you will see that Orthodox
Slavic countries use variants of the Cyrillic alphabet, and Catholic
Slavic countries use variants of the Latin alphabet.

Still Noir, and still gurgling around in the pipes :)

Richmond.