Table Object?

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 12:46:07 EST 2013

On 13/12/13 19:32, Martin Baxter wrote:
> On 13/12/13 16:35, Devin Asay wrote:
>> On Dec 13, 2013, at 9:22 AM, Martin Baxter wrote:
>>
>>> I've been re-familiarising myself with Livecode after a longish hiatus
>>> and looking at the standalone settings realised that I had no idea what
>>> the "Table" script library is for. Maybe I once knew but...
>>>
>>> In the User Guide it states that it is for "Use of the table object"
>>>
>>> But that is the only mention of "Table Object" that I can find. AFAIK
>>> there's no such thing.
>>>
>>> I'm just curious, but can anybody enlighten me what that script library
>>> is for?
>>
>> Would that be for the "basic table"-style field object?
>>
>> Devin
>>
> Maybe.
>
> I thought it might have something to do with table fields, but I can't
> find any info saying what exactly. I wonder if it might enable the
> feature whereby the user can click on a "cell" in a table field and
> apparently edit it in place? That's all I can think of.
>
> I don't think I ever used that seriously, which might explain my ignorance.
>
> Table isn't mentioned under "library" in the dictionary.
>
> Martin

The 'Table object' belongs to a class of objects sometimes called
'furniture';
this includes the following objects: 'Chair', 'Sideboard', 'Cupboard',
'Wardrobe' and 'Bed'.

They can be treated rather like fields, except that they are containers
for other objects rather than
text or numbers; so one can use this sort of script:

on mouseUp
    put chair "theBrokenOne" in cupboard "theOneUnderTheStairs"
    set the locked of cupboard "theOneUnderTheStairs" to true
    if motherInLawDoesntObject is true then
       do nothing
    else
       set the locked of cupboard "theOneUnderTheStairs" to false
    end if
end mouseUp

[ 'motherInLawDoesntObject' is a user defined script ]

Really, all you programmers; where have you been?

Richmond.