Up, Down and Sideways

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Dec 12 15:31:04 EST 2013

Richmond wrote:
> On 12/12/13 21:45, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> Richmond wrote:
>>
>>> Obviously the Documentation needs to be changed:
>>>
>>> currently it states that altKey WILL detect the state of the Alt Key in
>>> Linux.
>>
>> It does.  It's Gnome (IIRC), rather than Linux, that traps the Alt
>> key, and not even all Gnome-based distros do, nor all configs.  It
>> depends on the key bindings in place, which can potentially override
>> any key. Or none at all.
>
> Funny (the remark about GNOME); I'm having this problem on UbuntuStudio
> 13.10 which uses XFCE, not GNOME.

And that's why we need an authoritative source.  I've never looked into
it deeply enough to find which component is handling the Alt keys.  But
if it's not Gnome, it may be something lower (though almost certainly
not the kernel), or something higher (possible Ubuntu's keybindings
interface, which I had thought were inherited from Gnome, but may be
part of what they get from Debian).

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World