Up, Down and Sideways

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Dec 12 13:32:17 EST 2013

Richmond wrote:
> the Documentation states that:
>
> the altKey
> altKey()
>
> "Returns the state of the Alt key."
>
> and that just doesn't seem to be happening [Linux].

Many Linux window managers are (unnecessarily, IMNSHO) greedy with the
Option/Alt key, using it to move windows and therefore not passing its
state to the app.

Yeah, annoying as all get out.  I'd love to have a beer or twelve with
the Gnome folks who decided that was a smart thing to do.  I imagine
that decision was made in a smoke house in Amsterdam, under the
influence of some exotic hash too powerful for reason to survive.

It may be possible to turn that off in the keybidings or CompizConfig or
whatever else may be relevant in your distro.  But if you're making an
app for others to use it's probably best to just design around
dependency on the Alt/Option key altogether, since 80% of computer users
never change any defaults.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World