Scripting for the zip code

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Dec 12 13:32:06 EST 2013

Hi Jim:

You can try the following functions if you're looking up a single US
address (watch line wrapping).  Pass the street/city/state info to the
first function as separate arguments.

function getZip pStreet, pCity, pState
   put "http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/geocode/json?address=" into
baseURL
   put "&sensor=false" into URLsuffix
   --
   put cleanString(pStreet) into streetData
   put streetData & comma into theStreet
   replace space with "+" in theStreet
   --
   put cleanString(pCity) into cityData
   put cityData & comma into theCity
   replace space with "+" in theCity
   --
   put cleanString(pState) into stateData
   put stateData into theState
   replace space with "+" in theState
   --
   -- GET GEO DATA
   put baseURL & theStreet & "+" & theCity & "+" & theState & URLsuffix

function cleanString pString
   replace "." with empty in pString
   replace "," with empty in pString
   if char -1 of pString is space then delete char -1 of pString
   return pString
end cleanString

Regards,

Scott Rossi