[OT] Raspberry Pi vs x86 embedded motherboard

Roger Eller roger.e.eller at sealedair.com
Sat Aug 31 14:14:44 EDT 2013

On Aug 31, 2013 1:01 PM, "Richard Gaskin" wrote:

> I like the idea of a cheap computer, but it seems the LiveCode build for
Linux/ARM needed to run on the Raspberry Pi is still only in its early
stage - here's a blog entry that includes a link to download a test build
if you're feeling adventurous:
> <http://livecode.com/blog/2013/02/20/livecode-on-raspberry-pi/>

For me personally, I would rather see an IDE for Android.  Listers will
likely say, "Tablets are too small for productivity". At least that's what
I've heard before. But think about it. Most have HDMI out, and USB. Attach
a wireless keyboard and mouse, hook it up to a 1080p monitor or TV, and
bam! it's a computer.  Who says it has to be a tablet though? Forgo the
touch screen, and use a $50 Android stick, and you have an ultra portable
(even pocketable) computer.

> But the long wait for that LiveCode/ARM build has given me time to
ponder:  What exactly is the advantage of a Raspberry Pi over other
motherboards that have onboard CPUs?

> After all, the Pi isn't a computer per se, just a mobo; you still need to
add a power supply, case, and SD card to become a usable system, just like
any other mobo.  And you need to download and install Linux.

> But most of the other mobos available have Via or Atom processors, so
while they're not as energy-efficient as the older ARM chips the Pi uses,
they're still reasonably efficient and MUCH more powerful.

> And best of all, they can be used with LiveCode right now, server and
desktop.

I love the small Atom boxes.  But you must admit, a tiny server running on
a cheap headless Android stick would be incredible.

> For example, the Raspberry Pi Model B sells in the US for $49 at NewEgg,
but a Via mobo with an x86 VX900 CPU is just $59, and for $69 you can get
one with an Intel Atom 2550 loaded with ports:
> <http://www.newegg.com/Embedded-Solution/SubCategory/ID-446?Order=PRICE>
>
> And if you want a case and power supply included with an Atom-powered
system, small-form-factor barebones nettops are available as low as $129:
http://www.newegg.com/Mini-Booksize-Barebone-Systems/SubCategory/ID-309?Order=PRICE

> While the Pi's modest power makes it difficult to use many Linux distros
on, most x86 mobos will generally run even Ubuntu's Unity interface
gracefully.

> And we can run LiveCode on them today.
>
> So help me out here:  What am I not seeing about the attraction to
Raspberry Pi?

> Why isn't the world just as excited about spending just an extra few
bucks to get a more useful x86 system?

In a word, "nerdism".  The Pi is attractive to those who want to tinker at
the lowest levels of tech.  The case isn't important. The cool factor is
saying hey, I have a computer running in a zip lock bag, etc.

> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World

~Roger