spitting nails at the IDE

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 14:09:48 EDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 3:00 PM, J. Landman Gay
<jacque at hyperactivesw.com> wrote:

> Breakpoints won't break if the line calls into an IDE/rev script. That's the
> only time I've ever seen it happen. The solution is to break just before or
> just after that line.

There are those, and then there are the ones that just plain get
ignored, those that wander, those that go stale (which may explain the
first category).

In a full day of coding, I will have multiple events where I stop at
an odd point--because the red dot wandered down the code, usually by
7-20 lines. (sometimes, I can identify the particular breakpoint from
the condition inside it).

I will also have a few incidents in which a dot goes stale--it works
for a while, and then starts getting ignored.  But if I delete it and
click another there, it starts working.

Restarting because strict compilation gets confused and finds a
variable to be shadowing itself is a couple of times an hour.

> I have never seen the message box wander. Since you didn't get a reply when
> you posted it, I suspect no one else has either. To me, it sounds like a
> scripting issue. Maybe you have a script that sets the location of a stack
> or some other object, but it isn't specifying the correct target.

I didn't have *any* code that set the position of a stack until I put
in some to try to correct this (and now I have a dedicated button . .
.).  There is a spot that moves newly placed groups in output, but
this happens on IDE load.  There is a single script that moves a
selection filed, but it calls it by field name an dis in the card
script.

> Which tools don't work or disappear? (I've never seen that either.)

Shortly before I wrote the first message, the tool palette just went
away, and would not come back when attempted from the menubar.  I had
to restart livecode to get it back.  The application browser has
vanished a couple of times, too, but has come back without restart

> If an
> IDE object is disappearing, see if you can find a correlation to a place in
> one of your scripts that hides an object. If so, see what it thinks the
> target object is.

It's too rare to watch for.  But when it happened, it was at the end
of a long day of being beat up on by the others.

> Are you using the new project browser? Do things improve if you close it?

I'm still using 5.5.4, at least until 6.1.1 is actually released and
found stable for a while.
--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462