Any ideas on working out number of characters(approx) that can be entered into a field

planix dr.alistair at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 02:37:23 EDT 2013

Hi All,

I am looking for ways to determine the approximate number of characters that
will fit into a text field of fixed height and width.

I am guessing there is some way of doing this by working with the line
height, font size, and the height and width of the field. Anyone ever had a
need to do this? Or is there an obvious way?

I am developing a small project for my 14yo daughter to work on. She is
always having to produce palm cards for talks at school. Using Word is a
pain for this sort of thing. I thought it might be fun and useful for her to
develop a palm card creator. Essentially we would create a base card with a
text field of fixed height and width. When she types or pastes text into the
field it would detect when the first palm card is full, create a new one,
and then flow the text into the next text field. This would go on until all
the text is entered. Then we print the cards (probably 4-6 to a page) and
viola - palm cards sorted.

cheers