Implications of DOJ vs Apple for developers?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Aug 24 17:57:55 EDT 2013

Peter Bogdanoff wrote:

 > Adam Engst of TidBits writes a good bit about this.
 >
 > An explanation of the decision:
 > http://tidbits.com/article/13912
 >
 > The remedies:
 > http://tidbits.com/article/13998

Thanks, Peter.

 > I don't think it applies at all to the iTunes store because it had
 > to do with Apple talking to the book publishers and they coming up
 > with an agreement on pricing together.
 >
 > The eBook idea in this case seems to deal only with books published
 > by the 5 major publishers in both print and eBook format, and the
 > prices set for the eBooks. I didn't see any indication that it
 > would cover other publications in other venues such as the iTunes
 > store. There, Apple doesn't control the prices set for apps, the
 > publishers do.

Publishers could set their price, they just couldn't set it any lower
than was available in Apple's store.

In that regard, the situation seems similar to that of any content
provider - I suspect we'll see similar rules across the board as others
start wondering why ebook publishers can bypass the store but they can't.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World