Implications of DOJ vs Apple for developers?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Aug 24 14:08:11 EDT 2013

Having found Apple guilty of price-fixing, the DOJ has required the
company to "let competitors link to their own e-book stores from their
apps." for a period of at least five years:
<http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-doj-apple-revised-ebook-penalties-20130823,0,238864.story>

What I haven't been able to find is whether this applies only to
"ebooks", or to any in-app purchases in the Apple app store.

With ebooks employing ever-increasing interactivity, what's the
difference between an "ebook" and an "app" in terms of this injunction?

Are all developers now free to link to payment options for add-on
"content" outside of Apple's store?

If not, how exactly is "ebook" defined in the DOJ's injunction?

I've been trying to dig up URLs with details on this, but so far all I'm
finding is flamewar fodder and little substance.

Thanks in advance for any real info you can share.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World