OT - Re: Windows standalone puzzle

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Aug 22 03:58:23 EDT 2013

On 22/08/2013 01:03, Roger Eller wrote:
> If they can edit what we "see" in a journalist presentation of the facts,
> have they not in a way, erased some of the truth?

Yes in some strict sense. But any video shoot (or still photo) does that
anyway - the eye can handle very wide variations in light intensity, but
photo/video can't, so the cameraman attempts to capture as much of the
important detail as she can. But 'auto light level' (or AWB, or any
other adjustment) will vary the detail captured. Not so much 'erase the
truth' as 'try to convey as much as the tools allow', and I'd see 'flash
suppression' (if it could be done properly) as a similar attempt to
allow more people to watch a particular clip.

But Tim is right - it's a cost issue rather than a technical one; and
although a TV station might be able to do this and help promote their
"greater community concern" for disabled folks, the affected target is
probably too small to cost-justify it. Thirty years ago you  wouldn't
have seen on your TV screens BSL (or ASL) signers or real-time
subtitling - maybe this will come some day.

Thanks
-- Alex.