Preventing screen capture hot key combinations

Terry Judd terry.judd at unimelb.edu.au
Tue Aug 20 21:25:51 EDT 2013

On 21/08/2013, at 02:48 AM, Mark Wieder wrote:

> Terry-
>
> Tuesday, August 20, 2013, 5:49:58 AM, you wrote:
>
>> The computers are in a managed lab so hopefully most could be
>> prevented. being able to disable modifier keys would certainly help.
>
> If this is in a managed lab, what good would screenshots do? Wouldn't
> they be confined to the individual computer / lab?

Yes, but the tests are being run from within our learning management system, so presumably the student could locate the screengrab (assuming it had been saved as a local file) attach it to an email (we use gmail accounts) and send it to themselves. Whether they would have time to do this in a middle of a test while the room is being patrolled is another thing.

> Fifteen or so years ago I produced a hacked-up version of a standard
> web browser for our library system so they could roll out a public
> internet and prevent Bad Things from happening, but that's less of an
> option now.

I'm normally not at all worried about this sort of thing but we have a strict agreement with the provider of the test questions that they will be protected from copying/distribution. However, even if we can somehow prevent 'digital' copying altogether, then it is quite likely that students will attempt to memorise one or two questions each and then pool their recollections - it's a tried and tested technique.

Terry...