community vs commercial for internal distribution of iOS apps

Mark Wilcox m_p_wilcox at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 20 10:28:59 EDT 2013

It's distribution not use that counts in the GPL. If you put the download behind a login then you could possibly argue that the distribution was entirely internal, however, students are not generally under the control of an organisation in the same way that employees are - a student could legitimately argue that you gave them the binary, therefore you have to give them the source code too. For a company with an internal distribution, employees or sub-contractors are unlikely to raise the same objection. Even if you did make source code available internally, you can contractually prevent employees and sub-contractors from distributing it further, whatever the license says. With students I don't think that's the case.

Note that the GPL never forces you to publish your source code publicly when distribution is limited, just that everyone who gets the binary also gets the source and is free to pass it on to others.