How keeping all your eggs in one basket is going to ruin your business.

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 14:07:30 EDT 2013

Faintly moralistic diatribe follows: serious programmers can tune out now.

-------------***-----------

So; having f**ked up so many times I've lost count, I backup everything onto
3 sets of external hard disks (one which travels with me in my 'hand-bag'),
and really super-vital stuff also gets stored on a server somewhere.

I have 2 sources of income that are in absolutely no way connected with
each other:

1. A constant low level income.

2. A potentially far higher fluctuating sources of revenue (my EFL school).

and some backups:

3. My wife's income as a junior professor at a University.

4. Property.

-------

I hold University degrees in Philosophy, Applied Linguistics, and I.T.

These make me qualified for at least 3 types of work.

-------

Now I am NOT the paragon of everything, far from it, but I do believe it
is not a bad thing to have a 'Plan B', and whatever is necessary so that
that Plan B
is not 'B' for Bullsh*t.

------------------

I don't know much about execution by hanging beyond that when they kick
the stool from under you you
dance on air until you are fortunate enough for somebody to pull on your
legs to snap your neck.

If you are clever enough to manage to get your left leg on the hangman's
ladder when the stool is kicked from under you you stand at least a
small change of being cut-down alive.

------------------

I don't know all that much about relying on on-rev for business beyond
the fact that my website is lodged there and some are the demos of my
"main thang", and once or twice people have contacted me directly as
they have been unable to download a demo just then.

However good, or bad, on-rev may be (and I suspect it is like most
things: good in parts) it does seem daft to
start talking about "How on-rev is about to ruin our business" in rather
the same way as an old man may get stroppy if some teenager kicks his
walking stick from under him, and because he has been fool enough to
rely on it completely he falls over. On-rev will only "ruin" a business
if a businessperson is daft enough
to rely solely on it, just as much as I went 'bottom up' when my
computer I had at the time and my single backup went west simultaneously.