IDE versus MSG Box - Field Tabstops

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 18:30:49 EDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Richard Gaskin
<ambassador at fourthworld.com>wrote:

> The tabstops property requires absolute metrics from the left edge of the
> control; that is, each item is the complete measure from that edge, e.g.:
>
> 100,150,225

I've never found this to be the case. I just opened up LC 5.0, created a
field with text and tabs in it, and in the message box typed:

  set the tabstops of fld 1 to 200,100,150,75

No crash, and the text formatted the way I expected. Now if I type in the
message box:

  put the tabstops of fld 1

I get:

  200,300,450,525

Which is exactly what I expected; the first value was taken literally, and
the rest were incremental. For kicks, I tried:

  set the tabstops of fld 1 to 200,100,250,675

and then

  put the tabstops of fld 1

gets me:

  200,300,550,675

Which means that the first value was absolute, the next two relative even
though the third was larger than either of the first two (but not larger
than their sum), and the last, which was larger than the sum of the three
previous, was again absolute.

I tried again in 6.1 with the same result and no problems.

gc