Using a HDMI TV stick to test LiveCode apps

Roger Eller roger.e.eller at sealedair.com
Fri Aug 9 13:19:54 EDT 2013

I have been using one of these
HDMI_Media_Sticks<http://www.amazon.com/Version-Bluetooth-Android-Google-Dongle/dp/B00A1ZTQB8/ref=pd_sim_e_3>
add smartness to my unSmart TV for about 6 months.  The thing works great
for Netflix, TWiT, YouTube, Pandora, Internet Radio, etc.

Having just realized that my monitor has an unused HDMI port, I'm thinking
another great use for this gadget would/could be LiveCode testing.  It has
USB for connecting to your computer, SDcard slot for storage, Bluetooth to
add a mouse, or USB mouse, and Wi-Fi(b/g/n).  So, in theory it should be
seen by LC as a tablet.  So, by clicking "Test" in LC, and switching to the
the source on the monitor, I can test apps targeted at android-based
devices (single-touch, or click, or click & drag operations).  Basically
any Android app that doesn't need multi-touch should be fine.  The speed is
far better than the Android emulator, btw.

~Roger