"this me"?

Timothy Bleiler bleiler at buffalo.edu
Thu Aug 8 17:08:14 EDT 2013

On Aug 8, 2013, at 10:01 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Having made that plea for simplicity in programming, please allow me to complicate this now:  :)
>

> Taking the idea of scriptObject further, for the rarer-but-not-unthinkable need to know all of the objects in an object's message path, might we consider extending this further to include:
>
>  the effective scriptObjects of <objDescriptor>
>
> ...which would return a return-delimited list of all objects in the message path of <objDescriptor>?

The key to this issue is recognizing the parallel conceptualizations of chained behaviors; as additions to the "owners" script AND/OR as a variation of the message path. I didn't appreciate this at first. It reminds me of the long discussion about groups/backgrounds/shared controls from a while back. So after further reflection, I agree with ScriptObject.

I also agree that if we add this extension we should also include some way to get a list of all the controls in the chain.  The effective scriptObjects of <objDescriptor> would be OK. I'm mildly concerned that it's not quite a consistent use of the "effective" modifier in the sense that there is no other use of it that returns a list. The "Effective" modifier returns a single value from a search through an inheritance path. If that minor difference is a problem, maybe another property like "scriptObjectChain" or "scriptObjectPath" would work.

Tim Bleiler, Ph.D.
Instructional Designer, HSIT
University at Buffalo