PNG Image Optimization

Michael Hatch hatchfactory at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 13:45:50 EDT 2013

I  convert "most" of the images in my stacks that need the full range of
transparency via tinypng.org. I have a utility on my PC that does the same
thing but tinypng has been far more convenient. The downsides are the
resulting files aren't compatible with early web browsers, my version of
Photoshop (CS5), or gimp - so keep the original.

My image intensive apps on both iOS and Android display the optimized pngs
well at a mere fraction of the size.

I created a bunch of tile-sets recently for an online strategy game

one of the larger tile-sets un-optimized 439k
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58521836/wall%20tile%20pack.png

optimized retaining full transparency 136k
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58521836/wall%20tile%20pack_reduced.png

They liked the optimization enough they had me pipe the rest of their
existing art through tinypng greatly reducing the bandwidth used and
speeding up the game.