revOnline and Open Source

Heather Laine heather at runrev.com
Fri Aug 2 03:16:18 EDT 2013

:) Yes Monte, I do. I expect them to use it - according to the clearly defined terms of the accompanying license. LiveCode's IDE has always been open and available for people to use, copy and learn from.

I guess I shouldn't post late in the evening without due thought and consideration. I think the word "openly" deserves a touch more clarification. If you include a copyright notice, or a license under which the item may be used, folks should respect that.

Marian - I'm not sure if code is analogous to, say, a lecture. If someone publishes a piece of code that does a specific thing well, and I want to do that specific thing, does it make sense for me to rewrite the code (thus probably introducing errors and unexpected behaviour) or simply copy that code and use it to do that specific thing? Assuming the code is openly published (see definition of openly, above). It is probably only polite in this situation to express thanks to the person who created the code, and I frequently see people do exactly this in the about screen of their apps.

Anyway. | think I had best bow out of this conversation, and let you guys settle it.

Regards,

Heather