Persistent LC server?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Aug 1 16:26:39 EDT 2013

Peter W A Wood wrote:
 > Richard
 >
 > On 1 Aug 2013, at 11:34, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >
 >> The trick here is that LC Server is designed to run as a CGI;
 > that is, the process is born, lives, and dies in the time it
 > takes to satisfy a request.
 >
 > It is your choice whether to run LC Server as a CGI or not:
 >
 > 	Schulz:LiveCodeServer peter$ cat > hr.lc
 > 	<?lc
 >  		put "Hello Richard. No CGI here"
 > 	?>
 >

 > 	Schulz:LiveCodeServer peter$ ./livecode-server hr.lc
 > 	Hello Richard. No CGI here
 >
 > You should be able to run the same code as you would run using the
 > Desktop version save for the GUI. I guess the pitfall of this
 > approach is that you can only handle one request at a time.

There's a second pitfall, which is critical for my situation:

My goal is to have my program return values from an array.  This would
mean, of course, that the program instance never quits.

I've been experimenting with key-values stores on disk as an
alternative, and have the time down to 0.2ms so I may not spend much
time with this array notion going forward.

Still, there may be other cases where using LC as a faceless daemon may
be useful, so hopefully one of us will get some time to explore that one
day.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World