revOnline and Open Source

Mark Wilcox m_p_wilcox at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 1 12:06:43 EDT 2013

Richmond wrote:

> If copyright is not explicitly stated then, surely, the thing is up for grabs . . .

That is very definitely not the case, although ideas can't be copyrighted only a particular expression of an idea.  So if you made a calculator app that looked and/or worked exactly like mine, or at least extremely similar then I may be able to sue you for copyright infringement.  It's much easier to prove infringement on visual copying than functional copying.
> I own a copy of "The Microbiblion" (published 1640), and were I to believe that as it has no explicit copyright
> statement it was somehow protected by some implicit law I would be flying in the face of the people who
> published it, when there were no copyright laws, and even the concept of copyright did not exist.

If it was published in 1640 then the copyright has definitely expired, whether it existed at the time of creation or not.  I believe books currently get 70 years after the year of the author's death and computer created works 50 years from the creation date (what about eBooks I wonder?).  After that time they are automatically public domain (in the UK) - the rules differ slightly in different countries but have been adjusted to be broadly the same in most of the developed world at least.