revOnline and Open Source

Mark Wilcox m_p_wilcox at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 1 09:45:02 EDT 2013

Kevin Miller wrote:
> I think most of the people sharing on revOnline are happy for their ideas
> to be used, otherwise they wouldn't have uploaded the stacks. However I do
> agree that some legal clarification is a good idea. How about we state
> that everything on revOnline is automatically public domain, *unless* the
> author of the stack places a clear notice on the stack that declares
> copyright and an alternative license of their choice (they can use
> whatever they like but only if they say so clearly)?
>
> This is just a suggestion for feedback, not policy yet, so let me know
> what you think.

Yes, great idea.  Just 2 points:
1) CC0 - the creative commons public domain equivalent with fallbacks (you can't give up your rights to your work in the same ways everywhere in the world) is better for software than a simple public domain declaration.
2) You'd do this by making it part of the terms and conditions of use.  I'm not at all sure about the legality of retrospectively applying it to content that's already been uploaded without explicit permission, even if you broadcast a change to the T's & C's.  What fraction of the content is regularly updated?  How complex would it be to get permission for the existing stuff?  That said, only new stuff having an automatic CC0 license would be much better than doing nothing.

Mark