revOnline and Open Source

Robert Mann rman at free.fr
Thu Aug 1 05:52:49 EDT 2013

So to sum it up :

1. Situation is a big mess :: all stacks published at revOnline are ab
initio protected by copyright, which is in apparent conflict with the
purpose of revOnline, which is to share code ideas and code.
2. Authors SHOULD specify the terms and license they agree upon
3. Clearly, taking a revOnline stack and distributing a commercial version
without the original author consent would be illegal.
4. Open  Source Side effect : If authors do not do not care to specify an
Open Source License, the stack cannot be simply modified and re-published
with OS Livecode, as the second "user" will have no clean right to do so,
except if he asks the original author for authorization or license to do so.
That should be cleared a minimum at the revOnline publishing stage otherwise
one could end up with a bunch of mixed spaghettis.

5. The protection of libraries remains to be clarified.

Question :: what if I open a revOline stack, find some handlers and
mechanism I like to use elsewhere, just copy part of the script from the
editor, modify a little to suit my precise needs and environment.

Copyright applies to a complete work and does and should not protect
"ideas". The purpose of revOnline is to promote the communication of "ideas"
of implementations... so we are on a kind of frontier.

So that practice of using revOnline as a source of inspiration should not
break copyright rules???