android keyboard problems

Terry Judd terry.judd at unimelb.edu.au
Mon Apr 29 21:13:52 EDT 2013

I'm just starting my first real foray into Android development and I've immediately run into a problem with the keyboard behaviour. I have a login screen with username and password fields towards the top of the screen but when I tap in one of the fields and the onscreen keyboard comes up (in the emulator) it scrolls the screen up to accommodate the keyboard, taking my entry fields beyond the top of the screen. Is this normal? If so, is there any way to prevent it or do I effectively need to design my screens differently for iOS and Android to accommodate this behaviour?

Terry...

Dr Terry Judd
Senior Lecturer in Medical Education
Medical Eduction Unit
Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry & Health Sciences
The University of Melbourne