GPL 3???

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 20:46:35 EDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 2:22 PM, Mark Wilcox <m_p_wilcox at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> GPLv2 is more or less the same as v3 from a patents perspective if I remember correctly.
>As a contributor, you grant anyone using the code a royalty free patent license to any
>related patents you hold if they use the code under the GPL. The changes related to
>patents were about cross-licensing deals. Unless RunRev have a big stack of patents to
>cross-license with another tools vendor I can't see an issue.

Is that what it was?  I read the summaries, and refused to read the new license.

> In general the GPL is a horrible mess that makes most corporate legal departments want
>to run a mile.

I'm not a corporate department, but I am a business lawyer.  I've read
the GPL.  And all I'm *really* sure on is that it doesn't say what
it's proponent's say it does . . .

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462