Feature request: semaphores for externals

Mark Wilcox m_p_wilcox at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 22 02:21:39 EDT 2013

Regarding lack of comments, I think this can be traced back to Apple. They actively encourage the self-documenting code school of thought, where function and variable names are supposed to make it obvious what the code is doing.

The argument against extensive comments is that they can get out of sync with the code, which can be even more confusing than no comments at all. Personally I've found the reverse to be true for maintenance purposes - finding a bit code out of sync with the comments is a red flag that sloppy engineering occurred and more often than not the same commit is also the source of the bug being investigated. :)

I'm looking forward to the workshop on working with the engine at RunRev Live to get some more insights on the code base.