Can't retrieve a text file from a remote CGI folder

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Apr 11 02:01:47 EDT 2013

On 4/10/13 11:39 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:
> Jacque-
>
> Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 8:08:41 PM, you wrote:
>
>> But I do only want to read from it. I think you're right that
>> permissions won't allow remote reading, otherwise anyone could read the
>> scripts in there.
>
> I was gonna suggest that, except you said the scripts have been
> working for years. I wouldn't put anything like that into the cgi-bin
> folder, since I think browsers don't by design have access to it
> unless you really screw up the permissions.

No browsers are involved. It's kind of a long story, and couple of
things got conflated in the confusion. My cgi scripts have been working
for years, and they read/write to a log file that lives in the main cgi
folder. Someone with the same server issues I had asked me why his
logging script was failing. I didn't want to test with my main logging
script, which is doing some real business, so I wrote that test script
and it failed. I assumed my real one was failing too, but it turned out
my test had a missing carriage return.

Also, the person wants to retrieve his log file using a "get url"
command in a button in a stack. I've been doing that for ages, and it
still does work for me, with one difference: the file I retrieve is in a
cgi folder in a subdomain. So I tried to get a text file from the main
cgi folder instead, and it does fail there. I'm wondering why I can
access a file from a subdomain cgi-bin but not from the master cgi-bin.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com