[OT] New pricing

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Apr 6 10:33:51 EDT 2013

Georges Malamoud wrote:

 > Could you tell me if I am correct interpreting this message ?
 >
 > - I can use the community edition on all platforms for free and
 > open source apps (except iOS because it is forbidden to publish
 > an open source app on App Store)
 > - If I want a commercial app (even less than 1 dollar) on any
 > platform or if I want an iOS app (even free), I need to use the
 > commercial version
 > - The commercial version will come with a uniform $500 annual fee
 > for all platforms (unless I continue with my previous fees)
 > - For example, as a developer of free apps on the App Store for iOS,
 > i'll have to pay $500 each year (more than now) except for the period
 > which was included in my pledge.
 >
 > Right ?

In broad terms that's more or less spot-on, with a clarification:

Rather than "commercial" the better word is "proprietary".

The GNU Public License places no requirements on free as in beer
(gratis), focusing instead on free as in freedom (libre).

Software publishers choose the GPL when they want to provide The Four
Freedoms, basically the freedom to examine the source code, share it,
modify it, and share their modifications:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Freedoms_%28software%29>

The GPL doesn't prohibit anyone from putting a price tag on their
executable software, and indeed even Richard Stallman himself used to
sell diskettes with the GNU utilities on them.

They key provision is that any software that is distributed also have
its source code freely available.

In the Internet Age, for all practical purposes this usually means that
the executable will also be given away gratis, since even the most
complex app is just a make file away from having it at no cost.

So while "commercial" and "proprietary" have similar implications with
GPL-governed works, the distinction is less about economics (however
substantial such effects might be, like allowing every school in the
world to finally have the benefits of LiveCode at no cost to their
already-slender budgets) than it is about contributing to the knowledge
base of the world.

Choosing the GPL is like saying, "Not only do I want to share what I've
learned with the world, but I want to do so in a way that guarantees all
future generations will also benefit from that sharing."

Stallman's work on GCC and other tools that have provided a foundation
for so much of the software in this world has been an important
contribution, but I believe it's his non-technical invention, the GNU
Public License, that will be remembered as one of the greatest
inventions of all time.

One could argue that the modern Internet could not have become the
revolutionary force it has without the great many free software packages
that have led to its universal proliferation.

Today there are many other free software licenses, some of them more
liberal like MIT, Apache, and CopyLeft.  But all of them gained
inspiration and credibility from the foundation established by the GPL,
and its requirements for the free sharing of knowledge.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World