To those thinking of using LiveCode

Nigel Soden nigels at amglighthouse.co.za
Fri Apr 5 03:43:27 EDT 2013

To those thinking of using LiveCode

I thought it about time I contributed something of value. Life is filled with sufficient negativity that we are inclined to forget that there is an apposite too. Two magnets cannot work together unless they both be equal and they can only be equal if they contain the same attributes thou they contain a negativity. Something positive is in order.

A little background. I've been coding since the 80's. The number of languages learned number to a single round figure. One particular one that served me well was Clarion. Very much an underrated language but extremely productive. Not long ago in this story, possibly a year, I came across LiveCode while looking for an alternative language
that I could retire with and create some income as I approach the golden age, not that I well as the little grey matters still need to be exercised. The choose lay in the fact that it was inexpensive, as I pay in in Rands. An additional reason why I choose LiveCode was that it was not Object Oriented in the true sense, a paradigm that urks me to no end and that the code code was READABLE, I but that in uppercase to make a point. I'm currently a C# developer.

To date I have been busy developing an application that will untimely be used on an iPad. It's a fairly complicated application as it uses the Data Driven methodology and so requires a maintenance part which allows extra components to be added without having to rewrite any code within the main application.

My experience so far with LiveCode as been delightful. Like any other language, there is a learning curve. And so I have re-written some of the code as I get more aquatinted with LC.  As for the those who have assessed me on my many questions I can only but give you a big "Thank You", even thou I have to contributed a thing to the list to date.

Here fourth I present you some code snippets for you perusal. Still requiring some refactoring. Once I have completed the application I will open some of the source for those who may be interested in data driven application or a mixture of such. Time willing I may even write one and open it to the LC community.

If your thinking of using LC, all I can say is give it bash. Not bash it, but expose it's positive side.

See next post...