Storing location for a preferences file in a standalone stack?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Sep 30 18:25:07 EDT 2012

Phil Jimmieson wrote:

 > On 30 Sep 2012, at 20:16, "J. Landman Gay" wrote:
 >> There's been some discussion about whether Apple still wants
 >> prefs stored in Preferences in Mountain Lion (odd as that may seem.)
 >> To be safe on all versions of OS X, you may want to use this instead
 >> for Macs:
 >>
 >>  put "~/Library/Application Support" into tFolder
 >>

 > I'm not sure that this folder is named the same on localised systems
 > so it would be better if we could get the OS to tell us. There is in
 > LiveCode a SpecialFolderPath call to get the system-wide application
 > support folder, but not one to get the user's local version. I've put
 > in an enhancement request to extend SpecialFolderPath to provide one
 > so I'm hopeful we will have this soon.

A post in the forums a while back suggested that Apple's localization
affects only the display of such folder names, while the actual
addressable folder name remains constant.

I don't have enough experience with Apple's localization to say for
sure, but it would be convenient if someone who knows can verify if this
simple solution is indeed workable on localized OS X systems.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World