Apologies & 2 liveCode problems

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Sep 28 16:28:52 EDT 2012

On 9/28/12 10:10 AM, Lars Brehmer wrote:
> I would like to apologize for the tone of my post about the
> subscriber list earlier this week.

No problem, I think many of us have had that happen and we know it's
frustrating.

> 1. I can't seem to set the textFont of fields to unicode. I doesn't
> work with the Text formatting section of the inspector palette and
>
> set the textFont of fld "xyz" to "Arial,Unicode"
>
> doesn't do it either.
>
> I upgraded from runRev 2.8 to liveCode 5.5 in one shot, so I
> obviously missed a lot of changes/improvements.

Yes, it's all changed (for the better.) The complete explanation is in
the release notes, which are found in the Help menu. Do a search in the
PDF for "unicode" to see all the changes. The short version is:

"Putting unicode text into a field can now only be done by setting the
unicodeText property of the field (or a chunk of the field); using one
of the content format properties such as rtfText, styledText or
htmlText; or by a user action which causes unicode text to be entered
into the field such as typing with a unicode IME.

"The textFont property will no longer contain any ‘language’ tag, and
setting the textFont of a chunk to one containing such a tag will result
in the tag being stripped and ignored."

> The other problem involves LiveCode images showing up as the icons in
> my buttons.
 > I looked at every
> single image ID in every single Livecode stack and found 10 images
> with ID's between 1012 and 1291. Infortunately 3 of them (1012, 1024,
> 1105) are the same as 3 of my images that are used as icons for
> buttons that are on literally every single screen of every single
> application I have ever made!
>
> Two of the conflicting images are in two of the revOnline sub-
> stacks, so I closed and removed from memory the revOnline stack and
> that was that - 2/3 of the problem solved.
>
> The third one is a little bit tricky, as it is the LiveCode
> splashScreen image on card "Main" of stack "Home!" (image id 1105)
> This stack cannot be closed.

The most permanent and portable solution is to change the IDs of your
images. If you only have one referenced instance of each per stack, it
shouldn't be too hard to change them. You'd see the problem the first
time you open each of your stacks and you can update them over time as
you notice it.

I had to do this once, and I used LiveCode's Find and Replace dialog in
the Edit menu. Enter the ID you want to change into the Find field. Turn
off all the selectors except for "All Other" and do the search. Once all
the instances are found, remove any matches that don't apply and then
enter the replacement ID and click Replace All.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com