Windows 7 Woes

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Sep 26 19:13:13 EDT 2012

Cal Horner wrote:

> After many years of happy use with Windows XP, I and many other users were
> told that it was no longer supported. But you all know that.
>
> So I opened my moth-filled wallet and purchased Windows 7.  Along with an
> upgrade to LC 5.5.2.
>
> I can hear you all say "Aha!".
>

> I have very carefully converted the stacks I use to the the new file format.
>
> Then I do what I always do. I generated appropriate stand-alone engine
> engines for the stacks. After the engine has been generated. The IDE locks
> up and I get one of those sympathetic windows 7 dialogues stating that an
> error has occurred and windows is trying to fix it.
>
> Then it fixes things by closing down LC 5.5.2..
>
> I thought we would be over this type of problem by the time we have gotten
> to Version 7 of Windows and Version 5.5. Of LC.
>
> Quite frankly, I'm tired of going over the same old issues and figuring out
> work around's every time one of these companies wants to get more money out
> of us.
>
> Now that I've done my rant: can anyone point me toward working around the
> problems they have encountered.

I solved the Win 7 problem in 20 minutes by wiping the drive and
installing Ubuntu. ;)

But seriously, I've not had the sort of issues you report here with Win
7.  Can you provide any details on the warnings?  What is the standalone
doing?  And if the error is reported for the standalone, why does the OS
shut down the IDE?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World