More preOpenCard Problems

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Thu Sep 20 21:02:43 EDT 2012

A couple of weeks ago, I posted about strange problems I was having in
preOpenCard.  I thought I had got rid of them by moving some code into a
separate handler and using "send in zero" to execute it.

However, the problems are back, different ones this time.  I can tell from
various variables and files that a good portion of my preOpenCard code is
not being executed.  However, as on the last occasion, as soon as I go into
debug mode to track down what is going wrong (almost always need a
breakpoint command rather than a red dot), everything works.

I also notice that things work differently, but still incorrectly, when the
stack is run as a plugin than when it is run toplevel.

I've tried the obvious debug methods of inserting either "answer" or "put"
to the message box commands, but they also make things work correctly - I
guess they delay processing long enough for whatever the problem is to go
away.

It doesn't feel like I'm doing anything unreasonable in the code:

- Set some variables
- Enable/Disable come controls
- Open a prefs file and read its contents (create it and its enclosing
folders if not present)
- Check either demo expiration or valid license code
- Put data into one of the fields
- set the rectangle of the stack
- Insert a front script - that's the very last thing I do before exiting
preOpenCard

I'm hoping for some suggestions as to how on earth to debug this.  I'm
using 5.5.0 on OSX 10.7.4 and I've also tried 5.5.1 with the same problem.
 Or maybe I should just move all the code to openCard and see if it works
there since there's very little screen manipulation going on.  preOpenCard
just seems to be very flakey these days!

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>